Sketchbook Experiments with Chinese Ink, PartTwo

Apart from drawing, I have also taken images of my objects in various compositions, and then work these images using Photoshop because often doing this reveals new ideas for textile work. Using a cutout filter is particularly good for testing out ideas and abstracting images. It can help me to rethink the directions I was taking, or it can confirm that what I had planned will work. I use my computer as if it was another tool, and I get very annoyed by people who think somehow the magic created is automatic and is just generated  by a computer, because this work often takes me longer than drawing and it can be a lot more complex. It requires another set of skills and knowledge to be able to create good work using Photoshop or similar programs. I have been using Photoshop for 16 years and I still keep learning more about it. 

 The base of the stitched book in my sketch book with one image copy I have overworked using gesso. I really like how on each of the old diary pages the ink is 'rusting' through and the drawing can be seen as an alternative work. 

The base of the stitched book in my sketch book with one image copy I have overworked using gesso. I really like how on each of the old diary pages the ink is 'rusting' through and the drawing can be seen as an alternative work. 

I do try out many ideas with printed out images. I now only use good quality copy paper (I stopped using that super cheap city paper because it would cause me so much grief, either by not holding up to my treatment or it would jam up the printer, and then I waste so much time! I give my printer a hard time as it is using all kinds of materials and various mediums. In this image above I have used gesso over the print out. The small glass has a lot of potential in this image to me. There is a lot I like about it.  It is a very tiny antique glass I found years ago while poking around second and and antique shops in Burra. I often do that gathering bit snap pieces I might like to use as props. 

The 'rusting' of the ink on the back of the drawing is wonderful and so interesting. It was one reason why I wanted to stitch them in rather than use PVA or tape.